Friday, March 20, 2009

Snakes & Ladders

A couple of things I'd like to share with you on this Friday evening. . . . Firstly, I wanna give everyone a 'heads up' on the conditions at The Cottage, as I was there this evening doing Boogaboo's bottom. The Pefferlaw River is about 2/3 open, with the openness slowly but surely creeping into B Channel. And don't call me Shirley. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the overhang extension built Saturday before the ice isn't anymore. Sure is easier to work off a ladder around there when the water is stiff, rather than in it's liquid form like we had to do getting Free Bird's tarp up over the slip last year. When I got home, I had a quick bite & headed to the garage to sand down the teak sections of our swim platform, whilst listening to the heavily amplified music from ANKORGRL's heavily amplified car stereo. A little something from side one of Beatles Abby Road to set the mood. Guess which track & win a prize ;-) Go ahead, guess. . . Any who, it came to mind a story I heard on the news this week - which has nothing to do with the Beatles, but my mind has a tendency to wander. I wa-wa-wa-wa wander. Sorry, back to the story, which was about a guy who was arrested at the New York border attempting to smuggle snakes & other reptiles into the States. And not just any snakes. We are talking non other than the infamous Massasuaga Rattler. And not just one or two, but 33! I mention this because as part of my Georgian Bay summer holidays research, I came across a very interesting video about the Massasuaga Rattler and all of his little friends that reside in that part of the world. And yes, I did have AG watch it. Not to scare her, but to inform her that we are all better off when we know a little bit about these animals. Hey, knowledge is strength. So, if you want to get a little stronger - or are planning to venture to The Bay, I urge you to watch (remember to hit the HQ button) (Quick note about the above photo. This was taken at Henry's Fish Restaurant on The Bay, just after we had gone for a dinky ride to check out the local sights. This was snapped no more than 10' from the swim platform of Boogaboo. Well, I tell you, my lovely wife nearly had a conniption fit when she saw that thing!! That, and she screamed like a little girl stepping off the dingy and onto the swim platform. I probably don't have to mention the fact that she spent the next 1/2 hour checking ALL the compartments on the boat while I went swimming . . .);
The next little tidbit I'd like to share with you all is another video I found awhile back. This was produced for the Ontario Marinas Operators Association (OMOA) and is an overview of Lakes Simcoe & Couchiching. No doubt you will recognize many of the areas shown on this video, but there is one very brief portion in particular that caught my eye. Pay close attention to the segment that shows up at 2:06 of play. Post your comments on the Log Book for that one. Sorry, no prize this time, just some old fashioned fun! And a bit of lump in your throat Rotten Row history;
Keep an eye out for my next update, as I have some fun & funky photos & one video from our trip back through the system last year at the end of our holidays. Some cool shots of Water Wings going through the fast current of the Little Chute. Stay tuned, my friends . . .

1 comment:

New Life Decorating and Home Maintenance Inc. said...

Your welcome, But As I see , I fail to see , any postings, other than made by thee. So I hope that yee are all happy at sea, and Take care my friend...and may you all be as Happy as me......Porker over and OUT.